Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My Religion is superior

My Creed is superior

How does a pluralist view things? If you have specific questions, please send to info@foundationforpluralism.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mathew Feldman writes;

I'm with you.

My personal failing is how sensitive I am to the chauvinism (this need to be certain, and sometimes assert, that one's creed is superior to others'). I always say that no one, or group, has a monopoly on Truth. So I most admire religious people who simply encourage others in their spirituality, as opposed to advocating any particular path.

I was raised in a fairly secular Jewish home, I have a set of fundamentalist Xian grandparents, and I am married to a Baha'i woman who comes from a pretty religious family. I'm covering all the bases ;-)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Ghouse responds;

Matthew Good for you, you are indeed covered.

Let me make a statement, that I have made before and had to do a lot of explaining to my Imams, fortunately, they have silently agreed to it.

" My faith Islam is dear to me, it works for me, when I am happy, I am trained to say thanks (prayer) the Islamic way, it gives me the comfort and when I am sad, I know I have to express that to the creator"

" However, I will not claim that this is the only way to find nirvana, salvation, release or Mukti, each faith brings that to the believer of that faith".

"To claim my faith is superior, is sheer arrogance, and arrogance and spirituality are mutually exclusive, and are inversely proportional to each other".

" the idea of claming superiority and exclusivity beats the very purpose of religion, to build harmony through justice, you cannot build harmony when you consider others faith to be incomplete, deficient or down right false, as it creates conflict and arrogance, does not acknowledge the otherness of the other, hence irreligious.

I invite people of all faiths to make that declaration, then we have an attitude of acceptance of the other and peace becomes imminent.


YOUR COMMENTS ON PLURALISM

Our Mission is to encourage individuals to develop an open mind and an open heart toward their follow beings. If we can learn to accept and respect the God given uniqueness of each one of the 7 billion of us, then conflicts fade and solutions emerge. We believe that knowledge leads to understanding and understanding to acceptance and appreciation of a different point of view.

Workshops Seminars Education News Letters
Foundation for Pluralism, Studies in Religious Pluralism & Pluralistic Societies
2665 Villa Creek Dr, Suite 206, Dallas, TX 75234 (214) 325-1916

No comments: